What Happens if the U.S. Loses
California Food Production?

On February 31, 2013, in an Western Farm Press article by Richard Cornett, Director of Communications, Western Plant Health Association we thought about the idea of  …

What if California suddenly lost its massive agricultural ability to feed the U.S. and the world?

What impact would this have on consumer choices and food prices?

Western Farm Press

Our home state leads all of the other states in farm income. It’s positioned as the agricultural powerhouse of the United States.

About 73 percent of the state’s ag revenues are derived from crops while the other 27 percent of revenues are generated by livestock commodities. In terms of revenue generated, California’s top five ag products are dairy products, greenhouse and nursery products, grapes, almonds, and cattle and calves.

California agriculture generates roughly $37.5 billion annually, more than any other state.

No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California’s output per acre.

Lemon yields, for example, are more than 50 percent higher than neighboring states. California spinach yield per acre is 60 percent higher than the national average.

Without California, supply of these products in our country and abroad would dip, and in the first few years, a few might be nearly impossible to find.  Orchard-based products specifically, such as nuts and some fruits, would take many years to spring back.

For more than 50 years, the men and women who work California’s fertile fields have made this state the nation’s No. 1 agricultural producer and exporter.


To read this complete article in it’s original post, please visit the Western Farm Press website. 

Supporting your local farmers takes less than 30 seconds!

Sign a petition at SoCal Water Alliance now!