Grapes of Health
Science is now revealing what we’ve perceived intuitively for centuries: Grapes are very, very good for us. Of course, the ever-growing wine community adds quite a bit of numbers and valuable info to this equation.
California’s Napa Valley alone has the world’s highest concentration of wineries (over 200 and counting!)
With all the vino virtuosos aside; grapes are adorable, bite-sized and packed with antioxidant superpower. They’re certainly not just for kids, yet are always mother approved.
California Produces 99% of Commercially Grown Grapes in the U.S.
For more than two centuries, Californians have been cultivating grapes. Today, over 99 percent of grapes commercially grown in the United States come from California.
With over 70 varieties grown, California’s warm, dry climate is ideal for growing grapes.
California grapes generally come in three colors – green, red and black – and are available May through January. California’s table grape growers are committed to giving you the best tasting, highest quality grapes in the world, and apply the highest standards of production to every single vine. California grapes are cultivated, picked, packed and transported with the greatest care to ensure the berries you enjoy arrive in just-picked condition: plump, juicy and perfect.
Resource via: Table Grape
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GRAPES
Grapes Can Act as a Migraine Remedy
A ripe grape juice is an age old home remedy for migraine. The ripe juice should be taken pure, without adding water to it early in the morning.
Grape Properties Aide in Alzheimer’s Disease
Resveratrol in grapes helps in reducing the levels of amyloidal-beta peptides in patients who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. Grapes are also helpful in enhancing the health of brain and delay the onset of neurodegenerative diseases.
Eating Grapes Can Cure Indigestion
Grapes are often responsible for curing indigestion and irritation of the stomach.
California Grapes Improve Eyesight
Grapes are very good in aiding vision. They are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, which are responsible for maintaining good eye health as we age.
Grapes Provide the Daily Recommended Values
One cup of grapes, with about 100 calories, provides more than a quarter of the daily recommended values of vitamins K and C.
Grapes are Amazing Antioxidants
Grape seeds, which are edible, are chock-full of antioxidants. Furthermore, research has shown that grapes of all colors are a natural source of beneficial components called polyphenols, which are also antioxidants.
Resource via: Style Craze
FUN FACTS ABOUT GRAPES
- Grapes are actually berries. They have a leathery covering and a fleshy inside, similar to blueberries.
- There are 7 different grape colors: red, green, white, black, purple, blue and golden.
- Grapes are a laxative if you eat too many.
- Grapes are 80% water so make a good snack, low in calories.
- Raisins are dried sweet grapes. This process occurs naturally when the grapes are left in sunlight.
- On average one acre of grapes produces around 15,000 glasses of wine.
- Unlike many fresh fruits, grapes are harvested fully ripe. After they’re picked, they do not become sweeter, so timing is everything.
- It takes about 2.5 pounds of grapes to make one bottle of wine.
- There are over 8,000 grape varieties worldwide.